Thursday, March 28, 2013

Flying the Dragon (Bluebonnets '13-'14 Highlights)



Flying the Dragon by Natalie Dias Lorenzi
Which readers? 4th grade and up

I have learned one thing about myself and writing about books through this blogging experience - I must write about them as soon as I finish reading, or I will procrastinate and procrastinate! I finished the BB list over Christmas, and this is one of my very favorites. I have turned it in, checked it back out, and now renewed it three times while putting off writing about it. I have 5 minutes until I pick my kids up from specials - so here goes!

This book was written by a very experienced ESL teacher, and this really comes through. It is about a Japanese family that is spread out between Japan and America, and the two sides do not really know each other because of a rift in the family. When the grandpa in Japan needs care in America, cousins from different cultures clash as they get to know each other.

I think this is the sleeper of the BB list behind Ivan and Wonder. I've already had a few kids mention it to me...all girls. I couldn't put it down, and I cried at the end. It is gripping and moving, and it would be a great read aloud for classes with ESL students (or any class, for that matter).

Time to pick up my kids (today!) from music. Loved this one! Can't wait to talk to more kids about it!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this lovely review of my book, Holly!

    It looks like we have quite a bit in common--I was a classroom teacher for nine years before switching to ESL, and now I'm a part-time ESL/part-time librarian. Just finished my last LMS course for my librarian endorsement, so I can go full-time in the library in the fall.

    Thanks again for your review, and I especially appreciate the fact that you wrote it during your planning time!

    ReplyDelete