Monday, April 22, 2013

It's Monday, What are You Reading? (my first time to join in!)



Joining in for the first time on the "It's Monday! What Are You Reading?" fun at Teach Mentor Texts.

I am "not working" today, so here is how I spent my morning!



Gingersnap by Patricia Reilly Giff
Which readers? 8 and up

Two-time Newbery Honor winner Giff gives us this lovely novel about home, family, and finding a place to belong. Since the death of her parents when she was a baby, Jayna has been bounced around from foster home to foster home. After a brief and happy stay with her brother, she is forced to live with their landlady when her brother must ship out to serve in the Pacific Theater in WWII. Jayna remembers that her brother mentioned that there was a box on a high shelf that might hold some secrets about their family When news comes that her brother might not return, she decides to take her destiny in her own hands and find out if there is a place where she might really belong.

This is a fast read, and it involves a little bit of a ghost story. The ghost is friendly, and there is nothing here that will scare young readers. There are several little mysteries wrapped up in this story, and readers will enjoy unwrapping all the little puzzle pieces to find the whole picture. I think third grade and up, especially girls, will enjoy this heartwarming tale.


Unwholly by Neal Shusterman
Which readers? middle school and up

Eek, this awful picture after that sweet little title above! With only one John Green title left that I haven't read, I am waiting to read An Abundance of Katherines. I listened to Unwind by Shusterman last week, so this week I am reading Unwholly on the Ipad. I am enjoying it, so far, but I'm not devouring it as quickly as I did the first in the series. Perhaps the difference is because I am not listening to it. I also listened to Bruiser by Shusterman in the last couple of weeks. Although I had mixed feelings about the ending and some aspects of the story troubled me, I fell in love with Bruiser in spite of myself.

What's on deck? This is what's in my cart on Amazon and on hold at the library: (And I can't WAIT to read the next Bink and Gollie with my very favorite kindergartener!)








5 comments:

  1. I have only read Neverlost by Shusterman. I really enjoyed it, but never continued the series. Unwind is a book that plagues me...I want to read it and love it, but I just cannot get into it. I must not be meant to be. Have a great reading week! http://wp.me/pzUn5-1u9

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome!! This is the most fun blog day ever! I just finished two of your on decks, I look forward to your thoughts on them. I thought Gingersnap was sweet, but left some nagging issues in my mind. Everything seemed to work out so perfectly. I also think the cover is a shame. It isn't one I had much luck selling to my class. I am so excited for the next Bink and Gollie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A new Bink & Gollie? My students will be excited. I need to read Gingersnap - looks really good!

    The Monster Report

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to It's Monday! :)

    I love Bink and Gollie. Such fun!

    ReplyDelete