Monday, April 1, 2013

NPR Author Interviews

I hear about new children's literature and hear author interviews from so many sources. I follow my favorite authors, teachers, and librarians on Twitter. I keep up with author blogs, teacher blogs, and even blogs from my library school professors. When it is Cybils Award nomination season, I keep a close eye on what others are nominating as their favorite books. I watch what is trending on Amazon. I look at what the kids are reading as I move from classroom to classroom. I look at Kirkus, School Library Journal, and other professional journals. And I always check out the "new books" shelf at the public library! I know I am leaving some out.

I also hear some great interviews on NPR with some of the more well-known authors. If I'm not reading, running, working, cooking, or doing (the neverending) laundry....I'm probably listening to NPR. Actually, I'm usually listening to NPR while I am cooking, folding, etc. It is my favorite entertainment source and  news outlet. I have heard two great interviews on NPR lately.



Who Could That Be at This Hour? by Lemony Snicket
Which readers? 3rd grade and up

Fresh Air Interview with Lemony Snicket, aka Daniel Handler

I am embarrassed to admit that this was my first noir fiction, and I was able to learn a lot more about the genre by listening to his interview with the incomparable Terry Gross. Some of the interview is not suitable for children, but Handler plays two songs that go with the book. These are available at the website! Young readers would love these! Such a great addition to a book talk. He also talks some interesting points about the book design, such as why there is an interesting picture on the hardback under the book jacket.

I saw Who Could That Be at this Hour? book in a third grader's book box today!



Hokey Pokey by Jerry Spinelli
Which readers?4th Grade and up

Jerry Spinelli on Weekend Edition Sunday

I just happened upon Rachel Martin's interview on Weekend Edition Sunday with Jerry Spinelli about his new book Hokey Pokey. I had not heard about this new book, so I put it on hold at my public library while I listened to the interview. Hokey Pokey is a fable that tells the tale of childhood and the inevitability of growing up through the lives of the children in this make-believe world that children never want to leave, but of course they all must go eventually. I have read mixed reviews of this book, but I absolutely enjoyed the characters, the symbolism, allegory, and bits of sci-fi. I think children will "get it," and I think they will like it, too.


Here is a link to the NPR Children's Literature page: http://www.npr.org/books/genres/10122/children/
------------------
Tonight, a special six year old is calling down the stairs for me to sing to him. We might not call it Hokey Pokey, but I know the days are numbered that I will hear him begging me to sing him to sleep. And so I go.


No comments:

Post a Comment