Thursday, April 18, 2013

What I've Been Reading...and the sweetest Thank You note EVER

In the last week, I've read three books.



Looking for Alaska by John Green
Which readers? High School

I listened to another John Green book while running and doing the monotonous household chores. This was another winner for me. I only have one more John Green book left to read! There is teenage drama and quite a bit of religious and existential angst. Lots of food for thought here. I loved the open discussions and thoughts.



Unwind by Neal Shusterman
Which readers? Middle school and up

I listened to this dystopian YA novel, and I was completely hooked. Teenagers can be chopped up for parts if they don't behave! Although this novel was published several years ago, Shusterman has recently published a sequel that I am reading now. Shusterman is active on Facebook. He interacts with his followers and even allows them to suggest names for streets, characters, etc. as he writes.



Jinx by Sage Blackwood
Which readers? 3rd grade and up

Harry Potter fans will enjoy this magical tale of wizards, witches, and a boy with mystical powers. It grabbed me from the beginning, but I thought it got pretty slow in the middle. There is a satisfying ending, but it's obvious that this will be a series. There is a great trailer available on YouTube.



And, finally, I have been working with some students twice a week for several months. This was our last week together, and it has been such a fabulous experience. We work in small groups, so I really got to interact with them and get to know them. We said our "goodbyes" this week, although hopefully I will see them again by substituting at their school sometime soon. They gave me a lovely packet of Thank Yous on my last day. This one is going in a frame. She's right - I DO have sunshine in my life. And I make her feel like family - mission accomplished.






No comments:

Post a Comment