Wednesday, May 1, 2013

iBuildApp - Making Your Own App


This is a screenshot of the App that Henry and I created today! Here is THE LINK to our app where the buttons actually work!


I learned so many wonderful things at the TLA convention last week, and I am spending some time practicing them so that I will really know how to use them!

One of the web based tools that I heard about was iBuildApp.com. This is a site that lets a user create their very own tablet or phone app for free! Henry, my kindergartener, is home sick from school today, so we gave it a try. He chose to make an app about one of his favorite presidents, George Washington, that lists facts, fun facts, and his favorite books about GW. Yes, I realize that "facts" and "fun facts" are very similar, but he insisted that these be the buttons. I think he really means "facts" and "fun trivia," but we will definitely go with his word choice.

We worked together on this, and I don't think most kindergarteners could do it completely alone. Older elementary students could do this with minimal help. There are a few problems in the WYSIWYG editor. I could not get the background color to change, although I found the button for this. When I changed the text size, it did not show in the editor, but it did show on the preview screen. I think this tool still has a few glitches, but I'm sure these will be worked out. Some of our issues could have been user error. That is always a possibility! I think that the ability to create their own apps will be very appealing to students as a way to show what they've learned.

Students could use this to create ebooks of their own writing, for any school project, to classify books that they've read and show them to friends....the possibilities are endless. These apps can also be changed and updated when necessary. GREAT tool!

No comments:

Post a Comment